2021 Coffman Prize Submissions
The Society for Military History Coffman Prize is awarded annually to the best first manuscript in military history. The competition is open to scholars whose work blends military history with social, political, economic, and diplomatic history and to authors of studies centering on campaigns, leaders, technology, and doctrine. The winning author receives a cash award and a plaque. The winner also will be recognized at the Awards Dinner at the Society for Military History annual meeting. This prize is named in honor of Edward M. Coffman.
The Society for Military History First-Manuscript Prize Submission Guidelines Eligibility:
- The dissertation must have been defended or the Ph.D. degree received in the previous calendar year, between 1 January 2021 and 31 December 2021.
- Only English-language manuscripts will be considered. Translations are not eligible for consideration unless the author both translated and annotated the manuscript.
- The text of a submitted manuscript must be at least 250 pages in length.
- Submitted manuscripts should be the record copies filed with the PhD-granting university. Manuscripts may be under contract for publication in the fall of 2022 or later.
- No later than 3 January 2022, the author must submit a full manuscript, a 3-5-page précis of the same, and a current curriculum vitae to Dr. Ian Ona Johnson, chair of the 2021 Coffman Prize Committee, at email@example.com. The précis must include a statement of the work's thesis and conclusions, its place in the relevant historiography, and any new or underutilized primary source materials or innovative methodologies that shape it.
- All submissions must be double-spaced and submitted in PDF format.
- The Committee will designate the winner on or about 1 March 2022.
- The Society for Military History will present the Coffman Prize at the 2022 Annual Meeting of the Society, April 28- May 1, 2022 in Fort Worth, Texas.
Point of Contact:
Ian Ona Johnson
The University of Notre Dame
434 Decio Faculty Hall,
Notre Dame, IN, 46556